Canadian academia and open source

Matt Price matt.price-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 19 13:25:23 UTC 2005

kburtch-Zd07PnzKK1IAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org wrote:

>At May's PegaSoft dinner meeting, Linux in schools (not universities) was
>discussed:
>
>"There has been a significant interest in Linux in schools, particularly in the
>UK.  The problem with bringing Linux into schools in Canada is that schools
>here have established agendas, hierarchies and large budgets.  There needs to
>be spending cuts to education in order to generate interest in Linux.  Schools
>in the UK have smaller budgets making Linux more attractive."
>
>http://www.pegasoft.ca/minutes/may_2005.html

wow, that is a seriously obnoxious sentiment.  How about just spending
less money on the damned computers, and maybe a little bit more on...
teaching?

Anyway the news about UTSC (earlier in the thread) is good.  I would
like to see the samething happen on the St. George campus -- among many
other benefits, a huge student base like that will help push OOo to
develop a real bibliographic function, which in my view is the only
thing stopping widespread deployment of OOo in higher education.

matt