VDSL and VGER1

lfeder lfeder-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 18 14:42:10 UTC 2005

Well out of the blue, Bell Canada setups up shop for 3 days in our
condo/apartment building giving a
demo of their ExpressVu for Condos. More swag. I have learned this is VDSL.
I think you need Fibre to the Curb, or in our multi-tenant case, Fibre in
the basement. (I near Maple Leaf Gardens.)

--------------------------
HowStuffworks says.

 However, another DSL technology known as very high bit-rate DSL (VDSL) is
seen by many as the next step in providing a complete
home-communications/entertainment package. There are already some companies,
such as U.S. West (part of Qwest now), that offer VDSL service in selected
areas. VDSL provides an incredible amount of bandwidth, with speeds up to
about 52 megabits per second (Mbps). Compare that with a maximum speed of 8
to 10 Mbps for ADSL or cable modem and it's clear that the move from current
broadband technology to VDSL could be as significant as the migration from a
56K modem to broadband. As VDSL becomes more common, you can expect that
integrated packages will be cheaper than the total amount for current
separate services.

-----------------------------

All I know, is I would forgo the cable TV channels altogether, just give me
52Mbps bandwidth.
>From what I have been told the Internet will be about the same speed,
perhaps a bit faster.
ExpressVu for Condos has the NFL Sunday Ticket channels 451-464, and that
all I care about!

VGER1.DYNDNS.ORG changes
-------------------------

My vger1 server at home has some upgrades to it.

http://vger1.dyndns.org/gallery
My Gallery of Pictures of Toronto and area. People, places and the city we
live in. All pix taken with my Kodak C330 4 Mb cam. There are 1600+ pictures
in the gallery and more arriving every day. I do not organize my pictures. I
just upload them with the date, I took them, and because they are in
numerical sequence, they are in the order I took them. So you can see the
progress of my day.

http://vger1.dyndns.org/jukebox
My MP3 streaming audio server. It has over 6000 mp3 files of all types of
music. Case and format and organized changes.

http://vger1.dyndns.org/guest/guestbook.php
My guestbook. (Well someone else wrote it, I just use it. If you visit my
site don't forget to sign it!

http://vger1.dyndns.org/phpBB2/
I put up a PHPBB2 forum. Not sure yet what forums I will standardize on. The
TLUG forum is not official, so keep that in mind. There are some avatars if
you register your username. Feel free to make recommendations.

Added some essential CraigsList links. CraigsList rules!!! (Got Monkeys?
makes me laugh)

I need a MySQL/PHP database for my movies.Any ideas?

I also need an IRC server or a JABBER server.
I have not decided between dancer-ircd and a Jabber server called Jive
Messenger.

I like Jabber servers, but IRC clients are more popular.