Linux World / Network World 2006

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 18 14:30:44 UTC 2005

It should be noted that April 25, the fourth Tuesday in April (thus the
natural date for NewTLUG meetings), falls during the show. Also, NewTLUG
meetings, while not downtown, alternate locations between IBM in the
northeast and Seneca at York in the northwest. So at very least, having a
regular NewTLUG meeting on its usual date at its usual place hurts
people who are (or need to be) at the show who would like to attend.

I don't think that having one meeting downtown is going to hurt, and it
has the potential to attract new blood. Consider that there might be
speakers coming in who would like to attend (Maddog? John Terpstra?) but
that we don't want to drag out to the suburbs if they don't know Toronto.

G. Matthew Rice wrote:

>That's nice for LW but what benefit does an actual LUG meeting at the show do
>for {GTA,T,NewT}LUG?

To me, it's mainly an advocacy gig -- providing non-vendor-biased
information and FUD-busting to show attendees, an extension of the
self-help model that spawned the LUG movement in the first place. Think
of a broader goal of growing the community, which is not the exact same
thing as growing LUG membership.

>If the goal is recruiting new members: paid or just the
>old kind, doesn't the booth do that (and plugs by anyone giving a talk)?

Especially if GTALUG is selling memberships, people and potential
sponsors can be given an opportunity to see what they're being asked to
buy into. Even to those who can't attend, our very willingness to bring
the show to the people, so to speak, is a selling point.

- Evan