Linux World / Network World 2006

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 18 12:10:56 UTC 2005

Ok, to recap, and hopefully move back on to the key
concern here.

- Admission to the trade show floor would be free to
ALL GTALUG members, the conference tutorials/training
sessions however will be carry an entrance fee.

- Ted Leslie <tleslie-RBVUpeUoHUc at public.gmane.org> has noted that he would
like to attend some sort of a GTALUG/NewTLUG meeting
at the show. This is a real possibility because as
noted at the end of the show day we will be able to
get one or more of the conference rooms (with some AV
equipment) for free.

- Some people who live downtown do not like going up
to the NewTLUG meetings, and some people who live in
the suburbs do not like coming to the University of
Toronto because it is so far downtown. Evan Leibovitch
<evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org> has suggested that given the business
person mix we could expect to see at Linux World a
NewTLUG meeting would be better than a GTALUG meeting
to do at the show (and yes a good case could be made
for his argument). However one of the attractions for
some of the NewTLUG attendees is the non-downtown
location, and lets face it the Metro Convention Centre
is about as downtown as things get.

Now on to the KEY questions:

- Do we want to cancel the regular GTALUG meeting
and/or the NewTLUG meeting in favour of having one or
both of said meetings down at the Metro Convention
Centre? Or do we want to do this in addition to our
normal meetings?

The show organizers have made it clear to me they
would like us to change our schedule around and make
the show our event in April. While I appreciate the
exposure the show can offer GTALUG/NewTLUG, I am at
PRESENT unconvinced as to the wisdom of dropping our
regular meetings in favour of just doing things at the
show...

Colin McGregor