Mandriva 2006 (was Re:Idea on which Distros to support)

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 17 22:39:43 UTC 2005

On October 17, 2005 13:28, Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Oct 2005, Evan Leibovitch wrote:
> > Madison Kelly wrote:
> >> Un, but I don't seem to be able to download Mandriva (it seems
> >> to be for sale only now). I found Mandrake 10.1 (not sure how
> >> much has changed) on linuxiso.com and I will test out my program
> >> on it.
> >
> > Much too old.
>
>     That's considerably overstating the case. Many people are still
>     using that, and even older versions. I have 8.2 happily running
> on one box.

You cannot get updates for Mandrake 8.2 any more. The product lifetime
policy for all Mandriva products can be found here:
<http://www.mandriva.com/security/productlifetime>. 2006 is not on
that chart yet since it is so new. Note the EOL for 10.1 and 10.2 are
not that far into the future.

> [snip]
>
> > Right now the only thing available for free download to non-club
> > members is 10.1, but don't bother with that. The jump to 2006 is
> > well worth the wait; it will be available to non-club members in
> > a few weeks according to the website.
>
>     I generally notice very little difference moving from one
> version to the next.

I have noticed only improvements especially on desktop machines. The
version of KDE that came with 8.2 looks like it is out of the Stone
Age compared to the version in 2006. If you want modern versions of
Python, PostgreSQL, Apache, Qt, KDE, and various other packages, the
latest and greatest is bound to have those. You can certainly install
all that stuff from source in an older version of Mandrake but then
you no longer have Mandrake. You have a custom distro for which there
is one maintainer, you.

--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay