Anybody else tried FreeBasic (aka fbc)?

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Oct 16 21:22:17 UTC 2005

On 10/16/05, Kevin Cozens <kcozens-qazKcTl6WRFWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Christopher Browne wrote:
> > - GNU Ada includes a sophisticated set of libraries including bindings
> > to various databases, GUI toolkits, web tools, and such.  An
> > interesting bit is that it handles complex string parsing via a
> > library that provides equivalent functionality to SNOBOL, a noted
> > language of yesteryear.
>
> A friend of mine knew SNOBOL. I also remember (related?) languages SPITBOL,
> WATBOL, and I think there were a few other 'BOL' languages around when I used
> to hang out at the Engineering Annex at UofT.

Something I have heard claimed (I do not recall where) is that the
Unix I/O capabilities were essentially derived from the file
manipulation API of SNOBOL.

It was dying and getting unavailable when I was in university, so I
wound up not being particularly exposed to it.  It's obviously still
available...  <http://www.snobol4.org/csnobol4/>

Can anyone confirm or deny that?

"The true  measure of a  man is how he treats  someone who can  do him
absolutely no good." -- Samuel Johnson, lexicographer (1709-1784)