In defence of C

pking123-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org pking123-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 13 23:37:52 UTC 2005

> Alex Beamish wrote:
>
> > Well, I was fooling around with BASIC on a high school teletype
> > machine starting in Fall 1973, and it was not at all new by then ..
> > it was a pretty standard language that was used on quite a few
> > systems.
>
> My first programming "experience" was Fortran, also in high school, a
> couple of years earlier.  We had to use pencil mark cards, which the
> teacher took down to the board office, where the computer was located.

For the record, some early major high-level programming languages
were released in the following years:

FORTRAN -- 1957 (first high-level language)
LISP -- 1958
COBOL -- 1959
BASIC -- 1964
PASCAL -- 1968

Can't vouch for accuracy, but there is a nice timeline at:
http://www.levenez.com/lang/history.html#02
And most of these dates (except COBOL) came from:
http://tinyurl.com/3p9nm (Princeton University).