In defence of C (was:Re:Anybody else tried FreeBasic (aka fbc)?)

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 11 20:36:15 UTC 2005

| From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org>

|   The original mainframe-based BASICs, and MS's GWBASIC and QBASIC were
| interpreted byte-code, and accordingly slow.

Amazingly enough, the original BASIC (at Dartmouth College) was an
incremental compiler.  Each line was separately compiled, as it was
entered, to machine code!  I think that that is the reason for the odd
(crude) variable naming rules -- all variables existed (26 x 11
numeric variables were possible).

PS: I played with a later version of that BASIC implementation in
1967.  Mind you, I had no idea about compilers until perhaps year
later.  What I was impressed with was time sharing (using a Teletype
terminal).  Previously, I had mostly done batch computing with
turn-around measured in months.