regexp matching question

John Sellens jsellens-Iv5KO+h6AVB+Y12zHexnB0EOCMrvLtNR at public.gmane.org
Fri Oct 7 12:46:32 UTC 2005

| From: Tony Abou-Assaleh <taa-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org>
|
| In short, if you're dealing with a (valid, non-corrupted) maildir file,
| then it is safe to use '^From ' as a message delimiter.

If you're dealing with a maildir file, wouldn't it be simpler to
use the end of the file as the message delimiter? (Maildir format
is one message per file.)

Perhaps you were thinking of the "mbox" format that is typically
used in places like /var/spool/mail/userid?  "mbox" uses "^From "
as the message delimiter.  (FreeBSD has an mbox(5) man page.)
(I had always thought the delimiter was "\n\nFrom " but apparently
I'm incorrect.)

John