Pro IV

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Oct 7 03:06:08 UTC 2005

On 10/6/05, Vince Fry <vince-J8gUg58EjS5Wk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Does anyone have any experience with this language/environment? I have a
> company that is giving my employer a proposal for a software package
> that will need some customization in order to tailor it to our
> processes. Their back end runs on RHE, with a proprietary database for
> Pro IV.
>
> We're a little concerned about using them for the project, as time is
> our major concern, and none of us had heard of Pro IV before we met with
> this company.
>
> Any comments/recommendations, etc are appreciated.

It evidently dates back to the 1970s, according to the vendor's web site...
<http://www.proiv.com/>

The fact that it hasn't taken the world by storm after having 30 years
to do so doesn't encourage me that there is anything to alleviate your
concerns...

If the database is proprietary, that means you are shackling yourself
to the vendor, which pretty much discards the benefits you might have
imagined you'd get from running on an "open" platform like Linux...
"The true  measure of a  man is how he treats  someone who can  do him
absolutely no good." -- Samuel Johnson, lexicographer (1709-1784)