Kickstart

psema4 psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Oct 7 00:59:17 UTC 2005

I've spent a bunch of this week racing around as if my head'd been lopped off.

Been looking at how to build RHL-based kiosks and am just about ready
to build my first "automated" installer using kickstart.  I'll be
testing with VMware (LinuxWorld swag, woot!) later this evening.  I
unfortunately need to have at least half a dozen machines loaded up as
kiosks 3 days ago.

I suppose this is relatively straight-forward.  If there's anything
here that'll b0rk the install process I'd sure appreciate hearing
about it.  Also, any gotchas about using Kickstart?  Anything in
particular to watch out for?  TIA

(btw, this project is meant for business kiosks, not public ones you
might see at a mall or library, so I'm taking short cuts the first
time through.  There are a couple packages not locked down by this
ks.cfg snippet - like X handling of ctl-alt-backspace.  I just don't
have the time to go and find all the trouble spots then how to fix 'em
from kickstart just yet.  It has been terribly educational though.)

-Scott.

[-- Snippet Starts --]
# Kickstart file for CentOS 4.1based kiosks (gnome/firefox)
# %post section, non-chroot

# add kiosk user, no password
  useradd kiosk
  passwd -d kiosk

# import kiosk metacity / gnome configuration
# dumpfile created with: gconftool-2 --dump / > kioskgconf
  sudo kiosk gconftool-2 --load=/mnt/cdrom/kiosks/kiosk.gconf

# import media (splash screen, desktop background, and greeter theme)
  mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
  cp -Rp /mnt/cdrom/kiosks/images /home/kiosk/
  tar -zxf /mnt/cdrom/kiosks/GDM-Blueish.tar.gz
  mv bluish-gdm /usr/share/gdm/themes

# install additional rpms (need to check redistribution rights/licenses)
#  rpm -i /mnt/cdrom/kiosks/AdobeReader_enu-7.0.1-1.i386.rpm
#  /usr/local/Adobe/Acrobat7.0/Browser/install_browser_plugin

--
- SGE