Anybody else tried FreeBasic (aka fbc)?

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 6 02:54:43 UTC 2005

On Wed, Oct 05, 2005 at 09:53:05AM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote

> I really don't think I miss BASIC at all.  Nope quite sure.  :)
>
> Why use BASIC when many much nicer languages with saner syntax exist
> like OCAML, Python, etc.

  I've recently begun a personal pet project where I need to process a
honking big text file and produce a relatively smaller, but still quite
large text file.  I need a *COMPILED* language for that.  I need to have
multiple filehandles reading from the same input file.  I need to do
string-handling and number-crunching.  If..THEN..ELSE, SELECT CASE, and
various looping constructs are required.

  I do *NOT* need "abject ornamentation".  I do *NOT* need multiple
inheritance that creates an object that's both a tooth paste *AND* a
floor wax.  Bill Gates' "Visual Basic" abortion has "embraced and
extended" Basic and given lean/mean compiled Basics an undeserved bad
reputation.

An infinite number of monkeys pounding away on keyboards will
eventually produce a report showing that Windows is more secure,
and has a lower TCO, than linux.