raid controller

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 5 13:51:39 UTC 2005

On Tue, Oct 04, 2005 at 04:11:39PM -0400, Phillip Qin wrote:
> I just want decide whether I will go for the raid controller on my
> motherboard or buy a raid card. However, raid is not configured in software,
> it is rather setup in raid controller's bios.

Using the onboard card is just a controller and running linux software
raid, is what I always do.

Even many real raid cards can't match the performance of linux software
raid on a modern cpu if the cpu doesn't really have much else to do.

People even use 3ware hardware raid cards as just 12 port sata
controllers in a single slot, and ignore the onboard raid ability since
linux software raid can be much faster in many cases.

Usually if it is less than $200 for the card, it is NOT a real raid card.
It is at best a fake raid proprietary software raid card (which was very
bad support in linux if any at all).

Usually most scsi hardware raid cards are support, and things like 3ware
and areca sata hardware raid cards are supported.  I believe most start
at around $400 for the card and can easily hit $2000+ for a scsi raid
card.  I imagine you can probably get a 16 to 24 port sata raid card for
about $1000.

Lennart Sorensen