raid controller

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 5 13:43:35 UTC 2005

On Tue, Oct 04, 2005 at 03:58:22PM -0400, David C. Chipman wrote:
> 		I've not used RAID before, but I'll see if I can answer your question.
> I doubt you'll lose any information, just by swapping motherboards. Why
> would you? The information is still on the disk, after all. I hope this
> helps,

Because a raid has to store information about the raid on the disk in a
format the raid card can read and recognize.

This data is usually vendor specific.  There is no standard that I have
ever heard of for how to put raid information onto a disk in the raid.

The data is still on the disk, but if you can't start the raid because
your raid controller doesn't understand the raid information on the
disk, then you can't access the data.

Different vendors might even place the raid data on the disk in a
different order.  Different stripe sizes, etc (doesn't apply to raid1,
but does to everything else of course).

Lennart Sorensen