Anybody else tried FreeBasic (aka fbc)?

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 4 21:33:34 UTC 2005

On Mon, Oct 03, 2005 at 01:13:28PM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote

> Hmm, in my experience the majority of software developed using VB
> is of a quality such that the world would have been better off had
> it never been written.
>
> Why not just use python or something with wxwindows if you want
> cross platform.  Or use libsdl and gcc/g++ and you can write code
> that runs on either without too much extra overhead.
>
> From what I have seen most of these tools make crappy hard to maintain
> code and are only a time saver for getting a proof of concept demo out
> the door, but should not be used for a full application development.

  Freebasic (aka fbc) is free, free, free as in GPL (LGPL for the
library).  It started off as a QBASIC/Quickbasic clone and it has some
extensions.  I used QBASIC a lot in DOS and Windows at work (before
discovering Cygwin and bash scripting).  For stuff where perl is
overkill, not to mention slow, a Quickbasic clone makes a lot more
sense.  If you can write QBASIC code (text or graphics), you can write
fbc.  It currently runs on DOS (32-bit mode), all Windows versions, and
linux.

  The "basic" aproach is to write code in a text file, and compile.
fbc foobar.bas
...generates a native executable named foobar.  There is an IDE
available if you prefer.

  The project home is http://sourceforge.net/projects/fbc/ and the
support forum is http://www.freebasic.net

An infinite number of monkeys pounding away on keyboards will
eventually produce a report showing that Windows is more secure,
and has a lower TCO, than linux.