raid controller

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 4 19:17:00 UTC 2005

On Tue, Oct 04, 2005 at 01:52:56PM -0400, Phillip Qin wrote:
> I have an onboard SATA raid controller. I plan to use RAID-1 on two 400GB
> HDDs. If I replace/upgrade my motherboard, will I lose data on the raid
> drives?

Must likely yes.  Using onboard proprietary software raid is just asking
for trouble.

Some boards MIGHT use the same on disk format if they use the same
controller chip and mostly the same firmware version.

I also would rather use something with known good performance for
software raid rather than something proprietary that ties me to a
specific board and someone's (usually) secret implementation.

Lennart Sorensen