ATI driver support for linux

Francois Ouellette fouellet-cpI+UMyWUv9BDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 4 17:25:28 UTC 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "William Park" <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org>
To: <tlug-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org>
Sent: Tuesday, October 04, 2005 12:10 PM
Subject: Re: [TLUG]: ATI driver support for linux

> On Tue, Oct 04, 2005 at 09:58:41AM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> > On Mon, Oct 03, 2005 at 06:44:41PM -0400, ted leslie wrote:
> > > This was an old thread, but I found it VERY interesting ATI is
> > > currently hiring (at head office in Markam) mutliple people to
> > >
> > > work on Linux/ATI drivers  (see workopolis.ca)
> > >
> > > nice to hear!
> > >
> > > I assume with hired guns in shop, ATI can no longer (for long) have
> > > unofficial linux support.  hopefully soon they will have fully
> > > supported linux drivers.
> >
> > Yeah I applied there about 22 months ago when they were looking for
> > exactly the same thing.  Nothing new, but at the time they only had
> > (supposedly) one person working on the linux drives (using the windows
> > opengl core and such).  Hopefully they have a lot more now.
> >
> > I never heard back from them at the time, although they did seem
> > rather flooded with applications (I think over a thousand people
> > showed up that day for various positions).
>
> I suspect it's another PR exercise.  They can just hire the guys who
> wrote the current ATI drivers.  Or, publish their specs, and see who
> takes the bait.  In other words, you better have a fully written driver
> in your portfolio (or resume).  I read their job description (some time
> ago), and I couldn't understand what that had to do with writing ATI
> video driver for Linux.

I lost faith in ATI a while ago... pity! They have awesome hardware but
their drivers have always been poor...
I supported them for many years but most of their Win drivers were so-so
since the Mach64 models, their Linux support on current cards sucks.

  François Ouellette
<fouellet-cpI+UMyWUv9BDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>