TUX | The First and Only Magazine for the New Linux User

Anthony Tekatch anthony-e6QRBlwUI3iaMJb+Lgu22Q at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 4 00:16:45 UTC 2005

On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 18:09:17 -0400, "Stewart C. Russell" <scruss-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> It's not so much the content, James, it's more the presentation. TUX's
> use of PDF is exceptionally poor; not merely is each issue twice the
> file size it needs to be, but it's not really doing anything that
> couldn't be done equally well with static web content.

Right, the content is rather 'beginnerish', but I find the format of wide
aspect ratio and full-screen-opening is much easier to read than a
8.5"x11" PDF viewed on a standard landscape monitor. When reading standard
8.5"x11" PDF files, I usually waste many key-clicks resizing and panning
the image just to read the whole article. TUX is one of the very few that
actually got this viewability right.

Most web pages are not formatted for easy computer viewing, having to
scroll or page-down just to see a few more sentences at the bottom is just
not user friendly. I guess it's time I invested in a scroll-wheel mouse :)

My $0.02 worth,

Anthony Tekatch
http://unihedron.com