REAL Linux

Paul DiRezze pdirezze-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 3 22:03:25 UTC 2005

Lennart Sorensen wrote:

>On Mon, Oct 03, 2005 at 04:38:45PM -0400, psema4 wrote:
>

>>In addition to the standard GUI and database components, it includes
>>components for building games, internet applications, etc.
>>

>Tools to let non programmers think they can write programs are not that
>useful in my opinion because they don't make people good programers.

I don't think this is the point of VB or RB (both of which I've used).
Often it's about speeding up (macro-izing) some operation or mocking up
a prototype or writing a one-screen wizard that will never be
distributed.  Sometimes a crappy program done quickly is exactly what's
needed.  IMO that's what these environments are best for.  But I'd have
to agree that now that Python and its ilk exist and are mature,
proprietary dev environments are more trouble than they are worth.  What
VB and RB can do is easily done.  What they can't do is often near
impossible or at least not worth the square peg in the round hole type
of effort required.

>>The programmer in me definately agrees we don't need any more horrid
>>code.  On the other hand, my advocate side is thinking this is a good
>>thing for the desktop.
>>

>Because desktop users expect crappy applications?

No, but often any application (even a crappy one) is better than no
application.  For a good number of years VB was all there was that
lessened the effort required to get a problem solved without bugging IT
people at your company.  Having also struggled with Open Office Basic, I
can say that the integration of VBA into MS Office is still by far the
best development environment in an office suite that I have used.

Having said all that, I'm still moving to Linux, Open Office and Python
because I want what I learn today to be useful 5+ years from now.  MS
keeps changing the rules every 2-3 years to a degree that's excessively
counter-productive, not to mention costly.

paul