A question for those running their own OSS projects

Rob Sutherland rob-HoWcdTCbwWKHoZZAE0nKLw at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 3 16:10:10 UTC 2005

Madison Kelly wrote:

> I've been thinking of that but I always worry it will come off as
> spam. How would you suggest approaching a message to annouce the first
> release of a new program on a list like, say, this one and not
> potentially offend/anger users?

Well, putting an URL and a key phrase in a .sig is almost always
acceptable - and so is
introducing stuff via a question, like, "I'm working on this program
that raises the dead
and I wondered if anyone knows a good place to sell used coffins?". I'd
say as long as
you don't post too often and the package has some relationship to the
list topic you should be
OK or if you ask for input etc.

I agree with others that an article is a good way to do it as well. If
you put a short, say 2 or 3 paragraphs,
article up on a personal blog and then get a friend to submit it to the
Newsvac section of Newsforge
that can generate some hits right away and then you can sell a longer
version of the article to
places like Newsforge etc. I put some links and info on markets for
software related articles
at http://www.cheapersafer.net/twiki/bin/view/Main/WritingInfo

Rob

--