A question for those running their own OSS projects

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 3 15:54:43 UTC 2005

Madison Kelly wrote:

> I've been thinking of that but I always worry it will come off as
> spam. How would you suggest approaching a message to annouce the first
> release of a new program on a list like, say, this one and not
> potentially offend/anger users?

Very often just putting something clear such as "new OSS project
announcement" in the subject line will alert people to what you're
sending. Those who aren't interested can delete without opening. Others
know in advance what they're about to read.

On the 'Net, it's hard to do many things without offending somebody. But
don't let that stop you trying to get the word out; it's not like you're
trying to sell them something...

- Evan