A question for those running their own OSS projects

B B kioskfan-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 3 14:59:00 UTC 2005

--- Madison Kelly <linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>    This is probably the proverbial "$64,000
> question" but I guess it
> doesn't hurt to ask anyway...
>
>    "How do you promote a new OSS program?"

My project on sourceforge only appeals to a very
limited audience and I usually promote it by handing
out a business card I printed myself when I meet
someone interested like at trade shows or when
visiting clients.

If you feel your's appeals to a wider audiance...
Believe it or not but the commercial linux mags you
see on the store shelves are always looking for
articles. You could ask the editors for guide lines
for story submission or send an outline of your plans
for a story to the editor. Just don't expect to get
paid, these guys are very stingy. On the bright side
this also makes you a "Published Writer" which looks
good on the old cv.

Best of luck.