Microsoft trying to quash OpenDocument

B B kioskfan-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 3 02:36:00 UTC 2005

The big issue here as I see it is that the state of
Mass. has informed its software vendors that it plans
to standardize on the OpenDocument file format and
will only purchase software capable of doing this.

M$ has declined the request and will not include
"Open" or "Save As" OpenDocument format files in
future version of Word. Why? Because they know better.

The last time someone told me they did not have what I
wanted I went somewhere else and Mass. will do the
same, big deal. M$ is not trying to "quash"
OpenDocument they just don't care what the customer
wants, is this new for M$? I think not.

groklaw has been following this story since the start,
here's the latest one.

and there is a very good OGG of the last meeting which
I viewed but can't find the link.