A question for those running their own OSS projects

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Sun Oct 2 23:23:59 UTC 2005

Hi all,

   This is probably the proverbial "$64,000 question" but I guess it
doesn't hurt to ask anyway...

   "How do you promote a new OSS program?"

   As many of you know through my endless questions here I've been
working on a program for over a year and a half. It's finally nearing
the first major release and now I have time to turn my attentions to
"Getting the word out". The problem is, I have no clue how to do that.

   It's on SourceForge and it's pretty high in it's "trove" (category)
but that doesn't seem too helpful in and of itself (though the services
provided by SourceForge are great!). I've got a forum up and running on
the program's website and I am well into the process of writting a
manual for the program. None of these though actually bring in potential
users though (hopefully they will let people find credit in the program
once they show up though).

   So to those of you who have your own semi-popular OSS program (or
work on one), how did you do it? How long did it take? How do you let
the community know it's out there?

   As always, thank you all very much!

Madison