Remotely User Linux Server's Web Browser. How do I?

Robert Brockway rbrockway-wgAaPJgzrDxH4x6Dk/4f9A at public.gmane.org
Sat Oct 1 08:12:25 UTC 2005

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005, Lennart Sorensen wrote:

> Two methods:
>
> Run Xvnc or one of the other vnc servers on linux, and forward the port
> for vnc through putty's ssh link and use a vnc client and run mozilla on
> the x server providing vnc on linux.
>
> Or install cygwin and it's x server, then startx on windows, and ask
> putty to forward the X connection (simple and easy to do) and you can
> just run X applications and they will display on your local x server.
>
> I would recomend option 2 in general, although option 1 you can
> disconnect and come back to later without loosing your X session which
> can be handy at times.  Kind of like screen for X applications.

I agree with Lennart and others and also recommend Cygwin over VNC for
this sort of usage.  I find it offers superior performance.  Taking the
Cygwin X Server to full screen (which it can be set to to on start up)
makes using X in this environment very convenient IMHO.

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc.		Phone:	+1-416-669-3073
Senior Technical Consultant	Email:	support-wgAaPJgzrDxH4x6Dk/4f9A at public.gmane.org