OT MediaWiki: How does one create a sysop account for mediawiki?

Sy Ali sy1234-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Nov 30 15:28:38 UTC 2005

On 11/28/05, Joseph Kubik <josephkubik-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> That should have worked, but instead I'm getting
> User "usename" could not be made into a sysop. (Did you enter the name
> correctly?)
> And I can see this user on the list of specia:users

That's really odd.  I recently went through this routine:

* Install MediaWiki
* Create a user
* Log out
* Log in as the administrator (which I set up during installation)
* Go to the user rights page
* Promote the user

It's supposed to work as simply as that!  If there are issues with
doing it like this, then there must be problems somewhere.  Of course,
hacking around in the mysql database could also be an answer, but I
don't know enough about the tabling guts to advise.