limit ssh attempts

Fraser Campbell fraser-eicrhRFjby5dCsDujFhwbypxlwaOVQ5f at public.gmane.org
Wed Nov 30 00:24:28 UTC 2005

lfeder wrote:

> I though about accepting ssh from only specific IPs. However this would
> prevent remote logins from a new location. Any you know how that is. Just
> when you absolutely need to login remotely, your own server locks you out.

Yup, was in Scotland this summer and couldn't access my email because of
a restriction that I'd put in place, I've since stopped doing that for
most things.

> So I figured on plan B. To limit the amount of bad SSH attempts. I used to
> see hundreds of bad sshd attempts on all kinds of servers. No one needs
> this.  Thus I found these iptables that prevent multiple ssh attempts and
> DROP them like a bad habit.

I like this idea.

> I always make important passwords with a lot of alphanumerics.
> I don't think uppercase/lowercase and all kinds of complexity is that
> important, rather just keep it out of the normal dictionary
>
>  As always, I welcome feedback and improvements.

In addition, why not:

- run SSH on an alternate port, few (if any) scripts will bother
   checking obscure ports for an ssh server
- only allow authentication with SSH keys.  USB keys are dirt cheap and
   an easy way to make sure you always have your key