Gatesware + Thunderbird + Sympatico broadband doesn't work

Ian Zimmerman nobrowser-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Nov 27 17:36:51 UTC 2005

Arpad> I've just setup TB for my friends and run into this problem,
Arpad> after a few try I decided to put IP for the smtp server directly
Arpad> instead of the FQH and it works, the IP I use is 209.226.175.63
Arpad> (smtp1.sympatico.ca)....just a hint.

That's interesting.  Reminds me of something I had to do with my Exim 4
configuration to be able to use gmail for outgoing smtp:

### CONFDIR/passwd.client
#
# Format:
#targetmailserver.example:login:password
#
# default entry:
### *:bar:foo
# $Id: $
gmail-smtp.l.google.com:username:password

instead of the google-recommended smtp.gmail.com.  The trouble is that
that's what the IP reverse-resolves to.

--
A true pessimist won't be discouraged by a little success.