Debian dependencies

Marc Lijour marc-bbkyySd1vPWsTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org
Wed Nov 23 21:09:58 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 23 November 2005 11:01, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 22, 2005 at 10:25:03AM -0500, phil wrote:
> > Some time ago I put a spare 6GB drive in my Intel box to try out
> > Debian.  Mostly, I like it...enough so that I'm filling up the disk.
> >
> > Before scratching my main SuSE installation, though, I thought I'd
> > clean up some of the packages I'm not using and see what that did to my
> > disk space.  Since I don't use sound on this system at all, I figured
> > getting rid of sound items that were marked "optional" made sense.
> > That idea, however, caused KPackage to recommend the removal of all (or
> > most) of KDE, which seemed a little extreme!
> >
> > How does one better control dependencies so that uninstalling things
> > doesn't unravel the universe?
>
> Well I have never used kpackage really being in my opinion one of the
> worst gui package managers I have ever encountered.  synaptic is a lot
> better and actually maintained by debian people.
>
> aptitude is better yet in my opinion (being curses, not graphical) and I
> tend to just use apt-get and dpkg myself.  The command line tools will
> clearly list what they are going to do so I can decide if it is correct.

kpackage and aptitude are gui front-ends for apt.

As you know packages are dependent on others, and those depends on others...
Finally you end up with strange behaviors.

The installation problem is NP-Complete as demonstrated in this recent work:
http://www.edos-project.org/xwiki/bin/download/Main/Deliverables/edos-wp2d1.pdf

Installation, hot deployment and dependency solving is a hot topic. Big
organizations are working on it such as OASIS.
http://www.w3.org/Submission/2004/SUBM-InstallableUnit-PF-20040712/

OSGI is also very nice, but that s a little off-topic.
http://www.osgi.org/documents/osgi_technology/osgi-sp-overview.pdf