PostgreSQL to MySQL schema differences

Ian Zimmerman nobrowser-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 22 21:08:02 UTC 2005

On 11/22/05, Madison Kelly <linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> > Package: dbconfig-common

> Thanks Lennart!
>
>    The trick is, I am looking for information on the differences on the
> two DBMS. I need the details because I am trying to extend my program to
> support MySQL. My program is written for different distros so I don't
> want to rely on any specific program if I can avoid it.
>
>    I've actually got the schema modified to create the tables in MySQL
> now (you can't set a default for a 'text' table in MySQL!?). Now I am
> trying to figure out the MySQL equivelant of 'COPY...' and then modify
> the default values to load into mysql.

I think you might have misunderstood what Lennart proposed.  I don't know
that package, myself, so it's just a hunch.  Maybe that program is not something
that you'd distribute with your "product", but rather a GUI that lets
you generate
schemas for multiple DBMS and then you just distribute the schemas, as
you wanted
to anyway.  The only difference would be you point & click (once) rather than
write the schema by hand (for each DBMS).

--
"Political systems do not deal easily
with long term threats,