PostgreSQL to MySQL schema differences

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 22 19:43:54 UTC 2005

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 21, 2005 at 05:09:51PM -0500, Madison Kelly wrote:
>
>>Hi all,
>>
>>  I am trying to get MySQL working on my backup program which, so far,
>>only runs on PostgreSQL. I suspect this will be fine because I just use
>>basic SQL calls (no stored procedures and such).
>>
>>  My question is, my schema file I use to load the tables and data into
>>the database on pgSQL doesn't work on MySQL (surprise). Is there any
>>documentation on what is different between mysql and pgsql? I've been
>>reading the MySQL docs (for v4.1) and I've learned how to create
>>databases and users and such but I can't find anything on what is and is
>>not valid. For example:
>>
>>CREATE TABLE schedule (
>>	sch_dom			text		default '*',
>>);
>>
>>  works on pgsql but fails on mysql saying:
>>
>>ERROR 1101 (42000) at line 67: BLOB/TEXT column 'sch_dom' can't have a
>>default value
>>

>>  If there is a central document or whatever on what is and is not
>>allowed I'd be quite happy. :)
>>
>>Thanks all!
>

> Maybe this would be of use to you:
>
> Package: dbconfig-common
   <snip>
> Lennart Sorensen

Thanks Lennart!

   The trick is, I am looking for information on the differences on the
two DBMS. I need the details because I am trying to extend my program to
support MySQL. My program is written for different distros so I don't
want to rely on any specific program if I can avoid it.

   I've actually got the schema modified to create the tables in MySQL
now (you can't set a default for a 'text' table in MySQL!?). Now I am
trying to figure out the MySQL equivelant of 'COPY...' and then modify
the default values to load into mysql.

   Joys. :)

Madison