Debian dependencies

phil phillip-l+pbsqP8NtUm29vl6s1fFg at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 22 15:25:03 UTC 2005

Some time ago I put a spare 6GB drive in my Intel box to try out
Debian.  Mostly, I like it...enough so that I'm filling up the disk.

Before scratching my main SuSE installation, though, I thought I'd
clean up some of the packages I'm not using and see what that did to my
disk space.  Since I don't use sound on this system at all, I figured
getting rid of sound items that were marked "optional" made sense.
That idea, however, caused KPackage to recommend the removal of all (or
most) of KDE, which seemed a little extreme!

How does one better control dependencies so that uninstalling things
doesn't unravel the universe?

Phillip Mills
Multi-platform software development
(416) 224-0714