Where can I buy a linux-friendly laptop?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Nov 21 19:35:29 UTC 2005

On Mon, Nov 21, 2005 at 11:31:30AM -0500, Evan Leibovitch wrote:
> Modems need to have a phone cable plug into them. This means that even
> PC-Card modems either have dongles or flimsy, fragile "pop out"
> connectors. I've used both. The dongles are no smaller than the USB
> modem, and the pop-out connectors break or bend all-too-easily. It's
> also possible to accidentally plug the RJ-11 connector in backwards to
> the pop-out.

Hmm, I must admit I haven't used them that much myself, but I have seen
some xjack connectors that were quite old and still very much working
just fine.  They do not seem to break, at least not the connector.  The
pins do seem a bit flimsy and I imagine those could bend or break.

> The USB modem has the advantage of being usable on desktop systems in a
> pinch. Since it's external, it doesn't contribute to internal laptop
> heat the way PC cards do. The dongle has status LEDs which can be a
> great help in diagnosing problem connections. And lastly, the USB modem
> is less expensive than PC-Card non-Winmodems.

True, but often they also require external power sources, although not
on all models.  Well the USR5633A certainly looks nice.  USB powered and
only $60US.  How is the linux compatibility on it?

Len Sorensen