linux games

Robert Brockway rbrockway-wgAaPJgzrDxH4x6Dk/4f9A at public.gmane.org
Mon Nov 21 15:07:53 UTC 2005

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005, Sy Ali wrote:

> On 11/18/05, Marcus Brubaker <marcus.brubaker-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> On the free side one of the best OSS games I've ever seen is Battle for
>> Wesnoth which is a turn based strategy game.  Warning: it is HIGHLY
>> addictive.  I think I lost a few weeks of productivity when I first
>> discovered it.
>
> I found it in my distro's repository and checked it out.  I was going
> through the various games, wondering why they weren't nicely
> categorized into "lame" and "less lame".  I rather liked it, although

It'd be a very subjective test.  I'm sure some of my favourite games would
come under "lame" for a lot of other people, and vice versa :)

> Just yesterday I set it down after quite a bit of intensive playing.
> I enjoyed it, but found the difficulty curve too steep.  It got
> rediculously difficult very fast and I was left with "how in the heck
> is this possible?"  Even after really wildly outwitting a couple of
> maps I was completely overwhelmed and dropped it out of frustration.

You may wish to look at Crimson Fields - this is a turn based strategy
game with a short learning curve.  Great for a quick game.  This is
available in Debian (Sarge or Woody) and probably lots of other distros.

> But I'll be looking into Linux gaming much more closely now that I've
> got a new display on the way.. I never was much of a gamer, and I
> really like the oldschool stuff so there should be a lot of games out
> there for me to try.

There are so many games, of such a great variety.

Cheers,

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc.		Phone:	+1-416-669-3073
Senior Technical Consultant	Email:	support-wgAaPJgzrDxH4x6Dk/4f9A at public.gmane.org