Where can I buy a linux-friendly laptop?

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sun Nov 20 11:25:17 UTC 2005

Walter Dnes wrote:
>   I'm still at the "kicking-tires" stage, and probably won't buy until
> the new year.  I willing to buy a generic Taiwanese no-name laptop,
> versus a generic Taiwanese laptop with a Dell sticker and a Windows
> licence<g>.  http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/43550/ explains
> things.
>
>   http://www.sub500.com looks interesting, but the mention of a
> "Linspire-compatable 56K modem" is worrisome.  I'd like a real modem
> please.  Linux can handle a PCI modem without problems if you set one
> parameter when compiling the kernel.  I don't want to worry about
> whether or not a binary "winmodem" driver is available for whatever
> kernel of Gentoo I'm running.

You might try Angel Computers in Mississauga.  They sell notebooks with
Linux or no OS installed for less than the same system with Windows.

http://www.angelcomputer.com/

Also, as long as a "winmodem" is supported in one version of Linux, it
should be in all, though some distros might take a bit more work.
"Real" modems for notebooks are scarce.  My ThinkPad R31 has a winmodem
and it works fine in Linux.  ThinkPads, in general, work with with Linux.