Sendmail vs postfix

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Fri Nov 18 16:32:48 UTC 2005

Lennart Sorensen wrote:

>On Fri, Nov 18, 2005 at 12:11:01AM -0500, Kevin Cozens wrote:
>

>>Its interesting that you put Qmail on the bottom of the list in light of
>>the fact you experienced security exploits when using Sendmail. One of the
>>advantages of using Qmail is its atttention to security.
>>

>qmail isn't the only program that tries to be secure.

Don't qmail and postfix have very similar architectures? They both seem
to be based on splitting the MTA into a bunch of small programs, none of
which trust each other and only a bare minimum of which run suid root.
(This is in contrast to monolithic MTAs  such as sendmail and exim which
run as one big suid root process.) I even seem to recall that the
original logo of postfix, before it started using the rodent, was the
flowchart indicating message-passing between the modules.

Is there anything in qmail's design that is inherently more secure than
postfix, in theory _or_ practise?

- Evan