Thunderbird on Gatesware + Sympatico DSL

Kevin Cozens kcozens-qazKcTl6WRFWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Thu Nov 17 05:16:52 UTC 2005

bob wrote:
> Not everyone in my circle listens to my pitch about the merits of going
> Linux.     The best I can do with some of them is to pitch the merits of FTO
> (Firefox/Thunderbird/Open Office).

That is a nice trio of programs. Their availability for both Linux and Windows
makes worth looking at for anyone who may be using Windows and is planning on
switching to Linux. I have turned several people on to the use of Firefox and
a couple of people on to Open Office. A client of mine is using the Windows
versions of two of the programs because he has gotten tired of all the
problems he has had with Windows. Unfortunately each of the programs mentioned
have their own minor and sometimes major problems.

Some web sites don't seem to think Firefox is set to accept cookies even when
it is. One example is Yahoo, IIRC. I suspect the sites where cookies don't
work may be oriented towards the use of IE.

I have been using Thunderbird as my e-mail program for some time. With just a
couple of symbolic links I am able to access my e-mail messages from both
Linux and Windows. It has problems keeping track of the number of unread
messages in folders and doesn't update the cursor properly when deleting the
active message. Its more serious problem is that it can corrupt a mail folder
which will result in the messages being inaccessible by the program and causes
the program to hang when trying to use the folder. This has happened to two
different mail folder in the time I have been using the program. The most
recent occurance was the corruption of my Inbox.

I have also ran in to some stability issues with the 2.0 version of Open
Office. Both Writer and Impress have crashed on me. In particular I have found
that Impress can be crashed easily. The 2.0.1 release is supposed to be due
near the end of the year which will hopefully improve the stability of Open Ofice.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.

http://www.interlog.com/~kcozens/ |"What are we going to do today, Borg?"
Owner of Elecraft K2 #2172        |"Same thing we always do, Pinkutus: