[OT] Internet may "fall apart" next month, says EU

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Nov 17 04:36:20 UTC 2005

On 11/16/05, Scott Elcomb <psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On 10/13/05, psema4 <psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > Haven't seen much information about this since last year, but
> > apparently it's become a little heated...
> >
> > "A battle has erupted over who governs the internet, with America
> > demanding to maintain a key role in the network it helped create and
> > other countries demanding more control.
> >
> > The European commission is warning that if a deal cannot be reached at
> > a meeting in Tunisia next month the internet will split apart."
> >
> > http://politics.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/10/13/1843200
> > http://technology.guardian.co.uk/news/story/0,16559,1589967,00.html
>
> Looks like things should remain relatively peaceful on this front for a while:
>
> "US defends its control over new domains in last-minute global deal"
> http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,3-1876067_1,00.html

There was an interesting editorial on this in the National Post today...

<http://www.canada.com/search/story.html?id=16d25087-0645-4085-9bfa-61d87504cb1c>

Not everything that the US government does has been, erm, "totally
positive"; my level of confidence in the other organizations that
start with "U" is way less.  Peter Foster points out some of the
problems with would-be UN alternatives...
"The true  measure of a  man is how he treats  someone who can  do him
absolutely no good." -- Samuel Johnson, lexicographer (1709-1784)