Novell will (continue to) support KDE after all

Kevin Cozens kcozens-qazKcTl6WRFWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Thu Nov 17 01:49:02 UTC 2005

Scott Elcomb wrote:
> On 11/16/05, Christopher Browne <cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>
>>On 11/15/05, Evan Leibovitch <evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>>Which was that on AmigaOS and MVS and some other such places, you
>>could write scripts that would interact with applications while they
>>are running to do useful things.
>>
>>In about the last year, some efforts in this regard have re-emerged,
>>but it has been 11 years since Commodore stopped selling Amigas, and
>>we still can't expect to be able to write scripts to meaningfully
>>control applications like Gnumeric, OpenOffice.org, and such, so one
>>of the major original "selling features" of the desktop environments
>>still remains unachieved.
>

> Only barely familiar with MVS and never got my hands on an Amiga.
> This form of scripting sounds similar to VBA (Visual Basic for
> Applications) and/or WSH (Windows Scripting Host) though - are there
> any similarities between these and the MVS/AmigaOS forms of scripting?

The Amiga definitely had some interesting features to it. The Amiga scripting
feature being referred to is probably ARexx which, IIRC, was based on IBM's
Rexx. It has been a while since I used an Amiga computer or used one. I don't
remember much about ARexx off-hand. It had only just become available for the
Amiga around the time I was starting to use my Amiga less often so I never
used the feature.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.

http://www.interlog.com/~kcozens/ |"What are we going to do today, Borg?"
Owner of Elecraft K2 #2172        |"Same thing we always do, Pinkutus: