Grub and/or kernel problem...

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 15 16:32:15 UTC 2005

On Tue, Nov 15, 2005 at 11:04:39AM -0500, Peter King wrote:
> I just found a reason to -- Debian kernels for 2.6.14 no longer
> automatically build in a working framebuffer for old RIVA TNT video
> cards, so you have to roll your own. I'm pleased to say that the stock
> Debian kernel plus the few additional options for the framebuffer builds
> without any fuss and bother. (I got bitten by the nasty grep bug in the
> middle of the process, but that had nothing to do with the kernel.)

Debian kernels build a modular nvidia fb driver, not built in.  It has
never caused any problems for me using the nvidia binary driver for X as
long as I didn't misconfigure discover/hotplug to auto load fb drivers.

Did they stop building the nvidia fb module in 2.6.14?  Nope, I just
looked, still there as a module, nothing changed there.

Lennart Sorensen