Gatesware + Sympatico DSL

Allen Taylor agtnews-PeCUgM4zDv73fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 15 16:08:07 UTC 2005

On Tue, Nov 15, 2005 at 03:20:06PM +0000, John McGregor wrote:
> Sympatico's new Exchange servers require a secure connection both ways
> -- SSL on the POP3 feed and on smtp you should select the 'TLS, if
> available' option. They still have quite a few of their older, QMail
> servers running and its possible to get their techs to switch your
> friend's account to those servers (expect to have to do a lot of
> weedling, though). Sympatico's shoddy rollout of these new servers was
> one of the reasons that I switched to Rogers in March.

Of course I saw this reply after I sent my contradictory note to the
original thread!

I have not encountered a friend or client with existing Sympatico DSL
service that requires authentication on the POP3 access. Are the new
Exchange servers being used primarily for new accounts perhaps? Or have
I just been (un)lucky?

In any case Bob, certainly give the SSL a try on the POP3 and let us
know.

Allen