USB Ethernet

Merv Curley mervc-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
Mon Nov 14 04:45:44 UTC 2005

On Thursday 10 November 2005 10:12, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 10, 2005 at 08:30:10AM -0500, Jason Shein wrote:
> > > Well Jason has pointed me to a number of sites that I can use, thanks
> > > Jason. What I didn't know was if it somehow was one of the magic USB
> > > devices that show up as sda something.

> > > It is a D-link,  not a Linksys,  Model DWL-G122
> > > H/W ver A2  and F/W ver 1.01
> >
> > It looks like yours is Prism2 based.
> >
> > Most distros contain the prism drivers by default.
> >
> > There is some good information here, but a warning.... It seems that a
> > lot of people are having trouble getting this to work with the prism
> > drivers and fall back to using ndiswrapper.
> >
> > http://www.fuw.edu.pl/~pliszka/hints/prism2.html
>
> Well yeah it seems the rev A1/A2 uses the Intersil Prism chipset, and I
> can't find anything that says the usb version has any support in linux.
> The rev B1 on the other hand is a ralink rt2500usb and should work with
> the gpl drivers for linux.  Certainly it seems support wise you want the
> B1 revision not the older A revisions.

Thanks all for your help and information.  I haven't tried to get it working
yet, but it seems that I should just leave this on my W98 laptop and and get
something more appropriate for the desktop.  Pity, the laptop is seldom used
and it would be nice to get some use out of the USB ethernet unit.

Cheerio

--
Merv Curley
Toronto, Ont.