Sendmail vs postfix

Robert Brockway rbrockway-wgAaPJgzrDxH4x6Dk/4f9A at public.gmane.org
Thu Nov 10 10:22:20 UTC 2005

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005, William Park wrote:

> More meaningful answer (keeping in mind the level of questioner) is

Yes this is a good point.

> start with whatever your distro defaults to.  For Slackware, it's
> Sendmail.  :-)

Aaaarrrgghh :)

Sendmail was of course _the_ Unix MTA[1] for a long time.  Every other
MTA on Unix comes with compatibility tools to pretend to be Sendmail for
applications on the system.  Eg, expect your Exim or Postfix system to
have /usr/sbin/sendmail.  Running strings on the binary will reveal it is
not a true Sendmail but a compatability tool.

[1] Mail Transport Agent - the daemon that accepts mail for your domain(s)
and delivers it to mail boxes.

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc.		Phone:	+1-416-669-3073
Senior Technical Consultant	Email:	support-wgAaPJgzrDxH4x6Dk/4f9A at public.gmane.org