Shoaib Tanvir/IS_TS/TSE is out of the office.

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Nov 9 15:03:08 UTC 2005

On Tue, Nov 08, 2005 at 05:17:19PM -0500, Leigh Honeywell wrote:
> Some employers require the use of an auto-reply if you're out of the
> office.  That's why I don't use my work email for /any/ mailing lists.

Well it should still only send one message to each email address for
each vacation period you go on.  To do any more is plain stupid and can
cause infinite loops.

Imagine you go on vacation and enable your auto reply.  I send you a
message 30s before leaving on my vacation and enable my auto reply.
Your auto reply comes back to me, and my auto reply replies to the auto
reply, and your auto reply responds to my auto reply, and so it goes
until either one of us comes back (to a million messages) or one of the
mail admins gets a clue and fixes the auto reply system in general. :)

Lennart Sorensen