PPC linux installation

Taavi Burns jaaaarel-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Nov 7 20:40:05 UTC 2005

On 11/5/05, Joseph Kubik <josephkubik-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I have an oldworld Mac G3 that has Yellow Dog 4 on it. I want to upgrade to
> opensuse 10 PPC.
>  BootX will not boot the Suse supplied initrd / vmlinuz to launch the
> install.
>  Any ideas on how I could use the YD install that does boot to launch
> another distro's installer?

I've done stuff like that on intel hardware, and don't see how it
would be _that_ much different.  Installers these days tend to consist
of a kernel and an initrd.  Everything beyond that is just packages to
install from the CD (if any).  If you can copy these files to your
hard disk and configure your bootloader to load them, you will likely
have just booted into the new installer, and can continue from there.
They're loaded directly into memory so you should even be able to
format the oringinal source partition.  Good luck if the installation
goes south, though. :)

Can't you just boot off the CD, though?  Or is that the problem?  Be
sure to doublecheck the platform support for OpenSuSE 10, and ensure
that it will run on your G3.

--
taa
/*eof*/