One of those monumental days ........

Robert Brockway rbrockway-wgAaPJgzrDxH4x6Dk/4f9A at public.gmane.org
Fri Nov 4 17:04:48 UTC 2005

On Fri, 4 Nov 2005, Lennart Sorensen wrote:

> No I believe like the PS2 sony will offer a linux release for the PS3
> when it has the HD add on installed.  The games themselves are pretty
> unlikely to bother with any OS unless there is some game oriented OS
> they use on the game console.  Then again. I could be wrong and perhaps
> the complexity and performance have gotten so high that it makes sense
> to actually put a real OS on the system to make writing the game easier
> (managing memory and such can be a real pain after all).

To be honest I'd be surprised if they didn't hit that threshold a long
time ago.  The advantages of being able to build the game on an true OS
would be manyfold (hardware abstraction, no need to deal with memory
management, easier time debugging, etc).

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc.		Phone:	+1-416-669-3073
Senior Technical Consultant	Email:	support-wgAaPJgzrDxH4x6Dk/4f9A at public.gmane.org