One of those monumental days ........

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Nov 4 15:33:13 UTC 2005

On Fri, Nov 04, 2005 at 07:13:43AM -0500, pking123-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org wrote:
> From what I read (see the article it refers to), MS is partnering with Aruba
> to fix MS's own network infrastructure. It is also known that Aruba uses
> Linux. By extension, MS is using Linux for themselves, which flies in the
> face of their "get the facts" ad campaign, which touts MS-based networks as
> superior and more secure.

Well they are replacing Cisco gear with Aruba gear I guess, so it's
going from one non MS OS based system to another non MS OS based system.
But at least now they could potentially look for security holes in their
wireless network gear which they couldn't do with the cisco gear, and
there have been some big security related stories about cisco gear
lately.

> In other words, they don't appear to be selling Linux; they are just using
> it for their own needs, if I read the article correctly (admittedly I was
> skimming through it). I saw no indication that they are actually selling
> Linux.
>
> But even so, perhaps hell has frozen over indeed.
>
> And the funny thing is, I would think that there will still be buyers out
> there who will buy MS server software. I mean, this isn't the first time
> that the bone-headedness of Microsoft's marketing logic was exposed. What
> does it really take to turn people off MS? It appears that the only reason
> that people use MS is "because everyone else is using it". And by extension,
> no-one uses Linux "because no one is using it". You can say what you like
> about the virtues of Linux, but the prevailing logic is that "no one else is
> using it", and that is reason enough for many people.

I use it.  I guess I am no one. :(

Now how long did it take to convert hotmail from BSD to Windows, and how
big an increase in hardware did it require to do it?

Lennart Sorensen