"funny" URL redirections

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu May 26 19:51:03 UTC 2005

On Thu, May 26, 2005 at 01:57:38PM -0400, Taavi Burns wrote:
> But it's not, as this happens when using Firefox on Linux.  :(  It's
> more likely that Microsoft has spammed the DNS servers somehow.
> (exactly how I haven't yet been able to figure out...)

Opera turns word into word.com first, so http becomes www.http.com,
while firefox appears to do some other order of trying suffixes and
prefixes.  So microsoft owns http.something where something is what
firefox tries to add, but apparently is not what opera tries to add (or
at least not in the same order.)

> It's not http.com, http.net, or http.org.  Typing those in manually
> provides different websites, not Microsoft.

Yeah, I wonder which it is.  .net, .org and .com don't seem to be it.

Lennart Sorensen