CDROMS Not Reading Certain CDs

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu May 26 17:49:05 UTC 2005

On Wed, May 25, 2005 at 09:29:12PM -0400, Howard Gibson wrote:
> Duncan and Lennart,
>
>    Thanks.
>
>    This is getting weirder.
>
>    I installed Red Hat_8 on my "new" computer and it all went without a hitch.  Then I installed the Fedore Core_2 CD expecting it to not work, and it mounted.  Dmesg does contain the message that "This disc doesn't have any tracks that I recognize!".  Other CDs my SCSI CD burner does not mount work fine too.
>
>    As far as I can tell, my SCSI CD burner has always behaved the way it does.  My "new" computer is second hand, and the CD-ROM/coffee cup holder may have been through much abuse.  I am considering a new one.

Some early scsi cd burners identified as 'worm drives' to the system
since they were made before a cd burner id had been assigned in the scsi
specs and a worm drive was the closest thing there was at the time.
This might cause confusion to the OS when trying to decide how to mount
the drive.  It has to be VERY early though.

So far I have personally been very happy with the performance of the
PX708A, PX716A and the PXPREMIUM.

Lennart Sorensen