connect 3d 512MB memory stick

Randy Jonasz rjonasz-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue May 24 21:43:05 UTC 2005

Hello everyone,

A little while ago I bought a usb memory stick and have been using it with
windows for travelling back and forth from school. Today I managed to get
gentoo linux to recognize the stick and allow me to mount it with

mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb

One question I have is why the filenames are in 8.3 format in linux while in
windows I have extended names

also is this normal for dmesg after connecting the stick?

usb 1-2: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 4
usb-storage: device found at 4
usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
Vendor: Model: USB DRIVE Rev: 2.00
sda: Unit Not Ready, sense:
: Current: sense key=0x6
ASC=0x28 ASCQ=0x0
sda : READ CAPACITY failed.
sda : status=1, message=00, host=0, driver=08
sd: Current: sense key=0x6
ASC=0x28 ASCQ=0x0
sda: test WP failed, assume Write Enabled
sda: assuming drive cache: write through
sda: Unit Not Ready, sense:
: Current: sense key=0x6
ASC=0x28 ASCQ=0x0
sda : READ CAPACITY failed.
sda : status=1, message=00, host=0, driver=08
sd: Current: sense key=0x6
ASC=0x28 ASCQ=0x0
sda: test WP failed, assume Write Enabled
sda: assuming drive cache: write through
sda: Unit Not Ready, sense:
: Current: sense key=0x6
ASC=0x28 ASCQ=0x0
sda : READ CAPACITY failed.
sda : status=1, message=00, host=0, driver=08
sd: Current: sense key=0x6
ASC=0x28 ASCQ=0x0
sda: test WP failed, assume Write Enabled
sda: assuming drive cache: write through
sda:end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 0
Buffer I/O error on device sda, logical block 0
Buffer I/O error on device sda, logical block 0
unable to read partition table
Attached scsi removable disk sda at scsi1, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
usb-storage: device scan complete
sda: Write Protect is off
sda: Mode Sense: 03 00 00 00
sda: assuming drive cache: write through
sda: Write Protect is off
sda: Mode Sense: 03 00 00 00
sda: assuming drive cache: write through
sda: sda1

Cheers,

Randy

--